Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Henry Whitfield State Museum

Thanksgiving weekend 2006 has been busy at the Plush Duck household, what with Black Friday shopping (see Black Friday #1), church obligations, and a field trip to the oldest house in Connecticut, the Henry Whitfield home in Guilford.

I chose the Henry Whitfield State Museum as a field trip venue for two reasons. First, the Old Stone House that is located there was built in 1639, well within the historical era I wanted to study, 1607-1700. Second, because my husband’s ancestor, Thomas Norton (along with the Reverend Henry Whitfield), signed the covenant establishing the Menuncatuck plantation, a community that later became known as Guilford, Connecticut.

I find this aforementioned covenant particularly captivating. The text reads thus:
We, whose names are hereunder written, intending by God’s gracious permission to plant ourselves in New England, and if it may be, in the southerly part, about Quinnipiac: We do faithfully promise, each to each for ourselves and families, and those that belong to us; that we will, the Lord assisting us, sit down and join ourselves together in on intire [entire] plantation: and to be helpful each to the other in every common work, according to every man’s ability and as need shall require; and we promise not to desert or leave each other or the plantation, but with the consent of the rest, or the greater part of the company who have entered into this engagement.

As for our gathering together in a church way, and the choice of officers and members to be joined together in that way, we do refer ourselves until such time as it shall please God to settle us in our plantation.
My favorite part is this: “we promise not to desert or leave each other …” Wow. Talk about commitment! These people, one of whom is our ancestor, wholly dedicated themselves to each other and their community. In part, this was practical, I’m sure. Facing the challenges of the New World required teamwork and the ability to trust their lives to their compatriots. Yet, being faith-based people, I like to believe these brave folks’ ability to make such a promise to each other was borne out of their understanding that God makes that promise to each of us.

“The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” --- Deuteronomy 31:8 NASB

The more I study early American history, the more I am impressed by the determination with which these first settlers, nay pioneers, conducted themselves. Their ability to see a prosperous future beyond their own daily struggles must have been phenomenal, or at least it seems that way to me. Maybe that, too, was based in their faith practice:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” --- Jeremiah 29:10 NASB

My hope, especially on Thanksgiving weekend, is that I remain ever grateful and mindful of the sacrifices these courageous people, and many more like them, made to make my lifestyle of freedom and comfort possible. Without them, I can only imagine (sometimes with dread) the type of culture wherein I would find myself today. Huzzah to you, Mr. Whitfield and to your committed congregation.

1 comment:

batgirl said...

So glad you had fun. That document excerpt is beautiful. We are having so much fun studying early American history ourselves. I'm certainly learning much that I never learned in school! It's kind of sad- I don't think we know how to really take care of one another that way anymore.