Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, November 17, 2006

TGI Friday

This is the fifth in a series of seven postings chronicling a week in the life of a homeschooling family.
TGIF is an acronym meaning “Thank God It’s Friday” or “Thank Goodness It’s Friday,” an expression of relief that the work week is finally over and that, even if the weekend is not full of leisure, at least the drudgery of the workplace is temporarily over. --- Wikipedia
Even though I don’t work outside my home, I am usually relieved to see Friday arrive. Psychologically, it breaks my week into manageable pieces:

- Monday and Tuesday (the beginning of the week)
- Wednesday (hump day & a spiritual checkpoint)
- Thursday and Friday (the end of the week)
- Saturday and Sunday (the weekend)

This particular Friday was not tremendously organized at my house; this whole week, in fact, has not been tremendously organized at my house, but I’m hanging in there. I did manage to complete these tasks, though:

MOM
Continued treating Katherine the Great for her first cold of the season

TEACHER: Homeschool
Algebra
Verified tickets to Fiddler on the Roof

HOME MANAGER
Paid more November bills

FRIENDS/FAMILY
Watched youngest child of Koalagirl15 during dance class
Picked up middle child of Koalagirl15 from dance class
Went for pizza with my family and two children of Koalagirl15

HOLIDAY PREPARATION
Online Christmas shopping
Updated my Christmas list (at request of family & friends)

Setback of the day: more like setback of the week. I still have a sick teenager, but she is on the mend (thanks to Zicam® and lots of rest). Sometimes, I forget how much time it takes to be a caregiver. The good news: my husband does not seem to be falling ill after all.

Amusing moment of the day: nothing in particular stands out, just the general amusement that comes from hanging out with a four-year-old for a few hours. Their perspective on life, while behaviorally challenging at times, is so refreshing. Almost anything they say can make me smile. Last night, for example, my family and I were treated to a rendition of “Humpty Dumpty” while traveling to the pizza restaurant.

Tasks Left Undone at End of Day
Reading time: The Seven Checkpoints by Andy Stanley
Laundry
Any and all holiday preparations

Tomorrow is Catch-up Saturday. Time to get busy!

No comments: