Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Other Friday Christmas Activities

I almost forgot to report on my other Black Friday activities. The shopping-induced exhaustion I suffered must have fogged my brain (see Black Friday #1). So sorry.
----------------------------
The day after Thanksgiving is a tradition-imbued experience at my house. We have breakfast at home around 8:00 AM so as to be on time for our 9:00 AM Christmas tree tagging appointment. Truthfully, we don’t actually need to make an appointment, but our local tree farm opens for the season at that time, so we want to arrive early for the best possible selection. This year, despite somewhat swampy grounds after almost two days of rain, my daughter and I found the 2006 Christmas fir in about twenty-five minutes, not bad considering we slogged through a lot of mud and standing water. Storm Chasers® were definitely the watchword of the day.

After a short break at home for some phone calls and chores, we headed out for lunch at the North End Deli, a local restaurant that opened a little over ten years ago and that we have frequented since their very first week of operation. Today’s menu items: white Tuscan bean soup, a roast beef sandwich, and one very large gingerbread cookie for dessert. Yum!

Next on the tradition list: a Christmas movie at the local theater. The 2006 choice was The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause. Unfortunately, King Richard could not accompany us as he was working, so we invited the older children of Koalagirl15 to join us instead. The youngest koala stayed home so as to protect her belief in Santa. After all, she is only four years old, much too young to have her expectations dashed against the cold, hard rocks of reality.

Once the movie finished, I took the kids to my house where they socialized for awhile until their mother retrieved the middle child for a manicure appointment, and dropped the baby koala for some play time and a chance to watch Swimmy the Fish. This part of the day is not a tradition, although I suppose we could add it to the list. Koalagirl15 would get some time to Christmas shop sans three children and I would get to spend time with a non-teenager (something, frankly, that I miss).

Overall, it was a good day, even though my poor hubby couldn’t participate. Oh well, maybe next year.

No comments: