Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Accountability Update OCTOBER 2006

October was not as successful in the accountability department as I would have hoped, but I did make some progress. For those who aren’t familiar with this activity, my assessment scale is as follows:

1: Failed miserably. No progress whatsoever.
2: Tried, but couldn’t do it. No significant progress.
3: Making progress. Halfway there.
4: Came close. More effort needed.
5: Did it! All goals met.

HOME ORGANIZATION
Overall rating: 1

My plan for October was really a repeat of September: to focus on decluttering the kitchen table area. The implementation of this plan was to include clearing the table and establishing a routine to keep it clear. I was also supposed to refinish the chalkboard.

I have discovered that keeping this table clear is REALLY tough. It is the hub of just about every activity that occurs in my home: schoolwork, food preparation, dining, arts and crafts projects, you name it. Paper, books, and craft supplies seem to magically appear and reproduce at an alarming rate. In the words of FLYLady, it is a “hot spot,” an area that needs a quick spruce-up multiple times during the day.

As for refinishing the chalkboard, taking the key teaching tool for school and the general memo board for the house out of commission for even a few days is just as tough as keeping the kitchen table is order. I suppose this procrastination is due in part to the inconvenient upheaval it would cause. I like to think it has more to do with the antics of a five-month-old kitten that is transfixed by the chalk ledge of late. All I need is a paint-covered cat running through my house! Then again, he is mostly black so, maybe, the paint wouldn’t show.

Final assessment: given that no progress was made on this effort, I must lower my rating from 2 to 1. Ugh! Oh well, one step forward, two steps back. Right?! November plan: clear the kitchen table, develop and keep a table maintenance plan, and refinish the chalkboard. Maybe I can get my hubby to help with this.

RESTAURANT EXPENDITURES
Overall rating: 4

My goal for October restaurant expenditures was $650.00, admittedly ambitious and a bit too low, given that I took a trip to Colonial Williamsburg and my husband was traveling for work. The total for October was $1051.64. However, if I remove the vacation and work travel expenditures, I actually come in at $577.08, well below the goal of $650! Admittedly, this smacks of manipulating the data a bit, but it is one way of looking at the numbers. Of course, I like this perspective because it allows me to meet my goal; hence, the overall rating of “came close, more effort needed.” Plan for November: meet the goal without fudging the numbers! All targets and methodologies remain the same --- $650.00 through the use of menu plans and a restaurant visitation schedule.

Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established. --- Proverbs 16:3 NASB

No comments: