Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, October 19, 2007

My Annual Physical

After taking all three of my cats to the vet for their annual physicals, today was my turn. Yippee. I hate going to the doctor. Every time I walk through the door of a clinic or an emergency room, my pulse quickens, my blood pressure goes up…my body exhibits all the classic signs of a fight or flight reaction. Truthfully, there isn’t much “fight” involved; it is just flight. My instinct is to flee. What exactly I am fleeing from, I do not know. Fear of the unknown, I suppose. Ah, well…

I started the day with my actual physical exam. Then, because I had fasted for seventeen hours, I headed straight to the lab for blood work. I won’t have the results for a few days. Hopefully, they won’t indicate any major problems (like elevated glucose). My other test results will be back in about two weeks. My physician didn’t indicate that anything was amiss, so I am assuming that all is well (at least for the moment). My other appointment for the day was an annual mammogram. Again, the technician who took a preliminary glance at the film didn’t indicate that anything was amiss, so I am assuming all is well in that department, too.

As much as I stress over this annual ritual, I am always relieved to know that I am in reasonably good health. Recommendations for the year: lose some weight, exercise more, and make sure I consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. In other words, behave myself.

No comments: