Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Please Pray for California Friends

My family has been watching the news coverage of the San Diego fires quite closely the past few days as some of our friends, and the parents of some of our church friends, live in the affected areas.

Our friends, The Family R, live in Oceanside, a town that has (thankfully) escaped evacuation and fire…so far. We telephoned them yesterday to see how they were faring. Cheerful and upbeat, they informed us that the air in their part of town was clear. They couldn’t smell any smoke; although if they stepped outside their front door, they could certainly see smoke in every direction. My daughter checked a Google map of the fires this afternoon and The Family R is definitely surrounded. Their current flame-free status very much depends on the wind at this point. We are praying that they will be able to remain in their home.

Mr. & Mrs. S, the parents of our church friends, have not fared as well. They were evacuated from their home last night. At this point, I am not sure if they are staying with friends or if they are in an evacuation center. Their home is under much greater threat at the moment, so we are praying that their residence would be spared even the slightest amount of damage. That may seem like an unrealistic request/expectation at this point, but God is a God of miracles. Defying common sense is His business. He saved my husband from cancer; He can certainly save a house.

Any prayers that you could lift up on behalf of these families, and the thousands of others who are currently displaced, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No comments: