Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

German Pizza

Surprise, surprise! My daughter and I went out for lunch today to one of our favorite pizza/pasta restaurants, The Pizza Grille in Mystic, CT. Whenever we go there, she never has pizza; she always eats pasta. I, on the other hand, try the pizza. Today, one of the specials was German pizza, a menu item retained from a recent Oktoberfest celebration that was held at the restaurant.

This had to be, by far, one the best, most original pizzas I have ever tasted in my entire life. In fact, I think it was actually referred to as “sweet and smoky” on the specials menu. Anyway…it had a thin crust, no tomato sauce, parmesan and smoked gouda cheeses, sliced kielbasa marinated in German beer, chopped pears, and red cabbage. It was delicious! I didn’t have anything else with it; no salad, no garlic bread, nothing, for fear of ruining the sweet and smoky flavor.

Too bad I can’t upload a flavor file to the blog. I would if I could but, in the meantime, go to the restaurant and ask for the German Pizza (or the sweet and smoky pizza). I recommended it be kept on the menu permanently. Who knows, maybe they will listen to me. You never know.

Bon appetite!

No comments: