Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Update on California Friends

Good news from the west coast! Our friends and their relatives are all safe and back home, or they were never evacuated because the fire steered clear of their communities. All their property is intact and life is returning to normal, whatever that is considering that large portions of San Diego County are still engulfed in flame. The current estimate is that ~1500 homes were destroyed in the San Diego area alone, with ~ 482,000 acres burned in total throughout the state. Residents will be cleaning up for a while.

If you would like to monitor the wildfire recovery effort, visit the San Diego Fire Blog. If you would like to donate to the cause, visit either the American Red Cross or Charity Navigator. If neither of those activities is possible for you, I would ask that you pray for all who were (and are) affected by the disaster. Thank you.

No comments: