Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, October 08, 2007

More Bell Music

While doing some online Christmas shopping this afternoon, mostly for the musicians on my list, I surfed over to the Raleigh Ringers website. While there, I learned this:
The Raleigh Ringers use the most extensive collection of handbells and bell-like instruments owned by a single performing group in the world. The current grand total is 29.5 octaves composed of 361 individual pieces of equipment. [Wow!]
For a complete description of the different types of bells used by the group, you will need to visit their website. The photos alone are quite illustrative of the physical differences in bells.

But why so much variety?
Similar to the way pipe organs utilize different ranks of pipes, each individual handbell set has its own unique sound. By mixing the sounds together, handbell ringers are able to create contrasting moods and highlight melodic lines. A piece of music can take on a new personality simply by playing sections of it on a different brand or design of handbells.
And with that many bells, the group actually has their own truck.

So, without further ado, here are the Raleigh Ringers performing “Wizards in Winter” by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Enjoy!

No comments: