Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Accountability Update SEPTEMBER 2006

I can’t believe a month has passed already since my last accountability update. Let’s see how I did this time. Remember, the assessment scale looks like this:

1: Failed miserably. No progress whatsoever.
2: Tried, but couldn’t do it. No significant progress.
3: Making progress. Halfway there.
4: Came close. More effort needed.
5: Did it! All goals met.

HOME ORGANIZATION
Overall rating: 2

My plan for September was to focus on decluttering only one area of the house: the kitchen table. The implementation of this plan was to include clearing the table and establishing a routine to keep it clear. I was also supposed to refinish the chalkboard.

Wow, either I was incredibly ambitious in setting my goal or incredibly bad at time management because I didn’t even come close to that mark! I cleared about half the kitchen table at the beginning of September, but managed to fill it back up with “stuff” because I didn’t follow through with developing a plan to keep it clear. Mostly, I need to be more consistent with periodic pickup, both during the day and before bed. I also need to get other household members onboard with this effort.

As for refinishing the chalkboard, I found the leftover chalkboard paint in the basement, but it was too old to use. I never did get around to purchasing replacement paint as my husband and I began discussing whether to use standard brush-on paint or the spray-on variety that he found at Home Depot. I’m really not too keen on the idea of spray-painting anything inside the house for fear of the overspray disaster that (I’m convinced) would surely follow. I need to visit Home Depot for myself to examine this alternative chalkboard paint and make my own assessment.

Given that an attempt was made to complete the September plan, but little or no progress was seen, I (once again) earned a low rating in this department. Due to this lack of progress, the October plan remains unchanged: kitchen table, maintenance plan, and chalkboard.

RESTAURANT EXPENDITURES
Overall rating: 3

The amount of money that found it’s way to our local restaurants during September totaled $991.09, still a ridiculously high number, but less than the individual monthly totals for the last three months, and a $314.17 reduction over August. Of the September total, my daughter and I spent $834.68 and my husband spent $156.41. Not perfect, but indicative of some progress. Our plan --- to create menu plans and a restaurant visitation schedule --- was not implemented; therefore, it will remain the same for October, with the addition of a monthly target total: $650.00. Let’s hope we can hit the mark.

Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established. --- Proverbs 16:3 NASB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As for restaurant expenditures, progress is good, but my jaw still hit the floor... $650, I don't think so... YET... My guess, though no one asked, is $829 total family for October... Love you anyway though. :D

Sandi in FL