Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, October 23, 2006

I Am Not the Statistical Average

I watched a video clip of “Fox & Friends” this afternoon that had the co-anchors reporting on how Americans spend their money. Onscreen during the news article were the following statistics from Time magazine. Apparently, as a nation, we purchase these items daily:

35,079,448 cans of Bud Light
50,051,507 cans of Pepsi
153,424 pounds of Starbucks coffee
1,900,000 original glazed Krispy Kreme donuts

I can honestly say that I do not purchase any of these items on even a periodic basis. In fact, I have only eaten Krispy Kreme donuts twice in my entire life. I gave up coffee for tea years ago (although I may indulge in a sip now and again from my husband’s cup). I never drink Pepsi or Coke because the carbonation bothers my throat. As for the beer, the only one worth drinking is Guinness Stout (on tap).

Once again, the numbers have demonstrated that I am not an average consumer. Shocking! :-)

No comments: