Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

… And So Begins the Homeschooling Year

I recently wrote this short blurb for the September issue of The Courier, the CHOOSE CT homeschooling newsletter.
Every September for the past several years, some challenge or another has interfered with the start of our homeschooling year. I first took note of this on 9/11. Kate and I were finishing a spelling test when the planes began hitting the World Trade Center. In 2002, it was my husband’s job search. 2003 brought the death of our beloved cat T.C. 2004 saw my father hospitalized with a major stroke, and in 2005 we prepared for his passing after a second stroke. As we approached the first day of school this year, nothing seemed imminent. My mother was healthy, the pets were doing fine, all was in order…until our cat escaped from the house.

Why this threw us off for more than a week, I can’t quite make out, especially since it wasn’t as life altering as the events from previous years. I suppose the whole episode tapped into the emotional exhaustion from a year of loss with the death of my father. I really didn’t want to mourn the loss of a pet, nor did I want to watch my daughter go through that experience again. I imagine that is why I agreed to the purchase of a kitten, hoping it would soften the blow if the wayward kitty perished during his venture outdoors (thankfully, he is home safe).

No, this year I was determined to stay on track. Even though I had prayed for direction in other years, this year was different. I specifically asked for non-interference and protection, and I asked my pastor to pray the same. So far, this prayer has been answered, and I know that it will continue to be so because God is faithful.

Commit your works to the Lord and your plans will be established. --- Proverbs 16:3 NASB

No comments: