Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mom’s Mantra

Everyone has a song or two that describes their life or their attitudes. For me, one such tune comes from an album called Scarecrow by John Mellencamp. My daughter says that the last two lines of the chorus of this song are my mantra (see the bold type below). If so, I got it from my parents, children of the Depression and young adults during World War II, both part of the Greatest Generation.

I like this song for several reasons. First, it respects the wisdom of age as the old man in the song, through his conversation, eventually brings the young man to a place where he recognizes that he has paid a high price for not listening to his elders. Second, it sends a message to the younger generation that hard work is the only option if they want to make their dreams come true, cope with life, or reach their potential. Third, it places family and friends where they should be --- as the best things in life.

Minutes to Memories
On a Greyhound thirty miles beyond Jamestown,
He saw the sun set on the Tennessee line.
He looked at the young man who was riding beside him.
He said, "I’m old, kind of worn out inside.
I worked my whole life in the steel mills of Gary
And my father before me, I helped build this land.
Now I’m seventy-seven and with God as my witness,
I earned every dollar that passed through my hands.
My family and friends are the best thing I’ve known.
Through the eye of the needle, I’ll carry them home."

Chorus:
Days turn to minutes,
And minutes to memories.
Life sweeps away the dreams
That we have planned.
You are young and you are the future,
So suck it up and tough it out
And be the best you can.


The rain hit the old dog in the twilight’s last gleaming.
He said, “Son, it sounds like rattling old bones.
This highway is long, but I know some that are longer.
By sunup tomorrow, I guess I’ll be home."
Through the hills of Kentucky ‘cross the Ohio River
The old man kept talking ‘bout his life and his times.
He fell asleep with his head against the window.
He said, "An honest man’s pillow is his peace of mind."
This world offers riches and riches will grow wings.
I don’t take stock in those uncertain things.

Chorus

The old man had a vision but it was hard for me to follow.
I do things my way and I pay a high price.
When I think back on the old man and the bus ride,
Now that I’m older, I can see he was right.
Another hot one out on highway eleven.
This is my life; its what I’ve chosen to do.
There are no free rides; no one said it’d be easy.
The old man told me this; my son, I’m telling it to you.

Chorus

No comments: