Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

All I Want for Christmas is a 2¢ Stamp

Last holiday season (2005), in an attempt to be organized, I wrote a greeting card list and ordered Christmas stamps. I’m not exactly certain what happened after that, if I miscounted the number of stamps I needed or if the post office sent too many, but Christmas came and Christmas went and I still had A LOT of holiday stamps.

Now, here we are, ten months later, and I am still using these stamps on monthly bills. The only problem is that they are 37¢ stamps. So every time I use one of them, I need to purchase a 2¢ stamp to make the correct first class postage. Trouble is, no one (not even the post office vending machine) carries 2¢ stamps anymore. I am certain that if I went to the customer service window at the post office, I could get one with no hassle (at least I hope that is true). I just don’t want to stand in line. The lines there are always so long. Yet, as of today, I have 12 stamps left. Looks like I’ll be visiting the post office, at least for a while. See you in the queue.

No comments: