Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Astonished by a Comment

A few days ago, I wrote a blog entry about getting organized for Christmas (see Get Organized Week) in which I listed several tasks that I hoped to accomplish by the end of last week. My list included some routine activities like shopping for Christmas cards, making sure I have the gift-wrapping supplies I need, and firming up my holiday calendar, but it also included some new items, like taking a peek at a home spruce-up checklist and examining a Christmas preparation Bible study. When I composed the list, I thought of it as both a goal and a brainstorming exercise, but definitely more of the latter. Unfortunately, it seems the brainstorming idea did not come across in the post. I became aware of this when I received the following comment from none other than the owner of OrganizedChristmas.com, Cynthia Townley Ewer.
Oh, darlin’…I AM one of the “owners of those websites,” and I will tell you: we aspire, and that is all we can do. Seriously, this is CEO from OrganizedChristmas.Com. Sometimes, I’m so distressed that the hope and help we offer is viewed as MUST DO and SHOULD DO and EVERYBODY BUT YOU IS DOING statements. Instead, look at this question as a continuum. For folks who haven’t had the approach of the holidays blaze their brains, “get organized” week is a revelation. Those of us who end up in the “O” biz (not Oprah and sure as heck not the bad-word-O biz) are doing our best to help everybody over the turnstile. We’re not cracking the whip and setting the hurdle here. If all you do is just THINK about the question, “How can I have a happy, fulfilling holiday season?” this week, you are a success.

So speaks the “owner.”

Cynthia Ewer, Editor
OrganizedChristmas.Com
Receipt of this comment surprised me for two reasons. First, I am usually amazed when I receive comments from people outside my immediate circle of friends. The idea that anyone else even reads Gooseberry Lane astonishes me. I am just an ordinary person who started blogging as a way to hold myself accountable. Giving my friends and family a glimpse into my life challenges keeps me honest and gives them the opportunity to lift me up in prayer. Admittedly, a totally selfish motivation.

Second, I know how much time it takes to maintain a presence in cyberspace, being the owner of a blog and the administrator of a homeschool website. That Ms. Ewer had the time, took the time, and/or made the time to respond to someone as insignificant as me left me speechless. She seemed genuinely concerned, at least to me, that I had misinterpreted her website (which I love) as a hard-and-fast to-do list, rather than an inspiration. Rest assured, Ms. Ewer, I am not locked into a cycle of expectation and disappointment. Anyone who has ever seen my home knows this, just ask my husband or Koalagirl15. :-) On the contrary, OrganizedChristmas.com has helped to end that cycle and refocus the holiday on what is important --- Christ. Finishing my holiday preparations early has allowed me (and my family) to relax and enjoy December instead of wondering where it went because my nose was put to a grindstone. Spreading the work out over the course of two months, instead of the 24 days of Advent, has also made preparation much less stressful. I would recommend the OrganizedChristmas.com method to anyone.

Thank you for your correspondence, Ms. Ewer. It was a pleasure hearing from you.

No comments: