Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Monday, October 02, 2006

More Giggles

Ok, personal confession: I love the funny pages. When I was a kid my mother would read them aloud to me and we would have some great laughs together. Sometimes we would laugh so hard we would cry. Since I don’t have my mother close by to share laughs with on a daily basis, creating my own “funny pages” to share with friends is the next best thing. The newest additions to the Gooseberry Giggle Garden, then, are Baby Blues and the Family Circus. Brief descriptions follow. Happy reading!

Baby Blues
First appearing in 1990, this comic strip chronicles the trials of the MacPhersons, first-time parents facing the typical challenges of parenthood: temper tantrums, dirty diapers, teething pains and more. Written by parents Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott, the strip won “Best Comic Strip of the Year” in 1995.

Family Circus
The most widely syndicated comic strip in the world, each cartoon is drawn within a circle to illustrate the intimacy of the family members. Drawn by Bill Keane, the children in the strip are based on his own offspring. In fact, the character of Billy is modeled after Keane’s son, Glen, who is now a prominent animator for the Walt Disney Company. To reach the daily cartoon on the Family Circle website, click first on “FILES” and then on “Daily Cartoon.” Sorry for the maze, but the website address doesn’t link specific pages externally.

Just a note: These comics abide by the King Features archive rules, meaning only those panels that are 2-4 weeks old are available online. For the latest strips, it is still necessary to consult an actual newspaper.

No comments: