Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

My Sinuses Think It Is April

Today is January 6th and the forecast temperature for southeastern Connecticut is 65° F. The daffodils in my garden (or what I refer to as a garden) are completely confused, as are the cherry trees in New London. Both are either blooming or, at least, trying to bloom. I haven’t checked my “Miss Kim” lilac tree in the front yard, yet. Frankly, I’m afraid to see if it has blossoms on it. Though I am not completely convinced of the scientific verification of global warming, it is difficult to deny that some sort of warming phenomenon is at play when a garden as far north as mine is coming to life in the ”dead of winter.”

But more than the garden, my sinuses think it is spring. For the past week, they have become increasingly stuffy, as if they are responding to spring pollen. I guess that is to be expected if flowers are actually, albeit prematurely, blooming. I just don’t like it, that’s all. It is annoying and uncomfortable and tiring. How is a homeschool mom supposed to get her work done if all she is doing is treating her sinuses? Good grief!

Maybe if we all pray for snow (or the next ice age), global warming will end, the flowers will stop blooming until April, and my sinuses will get back to “normal.” Hey, it’s worth a try.

No comments: