Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Censorship Concerns

Once in awhile, the Plush Duck finds a soapbox under her porch and can’t resist the temptation to stand on it and momentarily squawk at passersby.

As a homeschooler, I often receive information from the Home School Legal Defense Association about the challenges faced by home educators in other countries. Today, I learned this about homeschooling in France, quoting excerpts from a message sent by HSDLA:
- French homeschoolers are faced with a draconian bill, which will be voted on by parliament within the next few days.

- Homeschooling is currently allowed in France. However, this bill would essentially outlaw homeschooling. No parent would be allowed to homeschool unless they showed that the health or handicap of their child makes it necessary for him or her to be taught at home.

- In addition, if a family could even prove they have a health issue or some other “serious” reason to justify their homeschool, they would then have to submit to a home visit by a government official each year. Also, their curriculum would be either provided by the “National Center of Correspondence Teaching (CNED)” or by an approved private correspondence school.

- Homeschooling has long been allowed in France. Homeschoolers have to have regular testing and sometimes they are visited by an official but for the most part operate freely. This bill would completely change that legal atmosphere and make it impossible for 95% of homeschoolers to operate.
The portion of this legislation that frightens me most is the requirement that curriculum be provided by a national/government organization or by a government-approved correspondence school. Such limitations restrict the ideas that are discussed and presented in the classroom to those that are approved by decision makers currently in power. Some of the greatest scientific, religious, and culture innovations that have ever occurred in the history of the world originated with ideas that were not “approved” at the time: a non-geocentric view of the universe, a spherical view of the earth, the Reformation, the Magna Carta, the Declaration of Independence, just to name a few. A plethora of ideas that can be, and are, openly discussed and examined is always better than strict censorship. Of course, as a Christian, I would add that such an examination should include evaluation per the Holy Scriptures (and not just my own Lutheran interpretation of Scripture).

I guess my question to the French government is, “What exactly are you afraid of that you feel the need to control the ideas that schoolchildren may be exposed to if parents act as teachers?” My assumption as to the answer from French authorities, “We need to ensure that schoolchildren are not brainwashed by overly religious parents who will, by default or design, turn out intolerant citizens.” My response to that assumed answer: some ideas, once openly discussed and examined, should be rejected --- religious intolerance being one of them. My disagreement with the faith practice of an individual does not give me license to treat that individual in an inhumane manner.

If we do not teach our children to effectively evaluate ideas and, consequently, stand for something of merit, they will fall for anything. How intolerant will our world be then?

1 comment:

AM said...

Hi, I found your blog as I searched for info on this, do you know where I can get info on this bill? I have been unable to confirm the validity of this letter... I believe it may be true, but I can't find any sources.
Any ideas?