Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Jeans Math & A Confession

Today, I am catching up on laundry. Since it is Wednesday, I started with the jeans. I have this ridiculous, Monk-like schedule for dirty clothes. It looks like this:

Monday: whites (and some bedsheets, if time permits)
Tuesday: darks and colors (plus bedsheets, time permitting)
Wednesday: jeans
Thursday: whites
Friday: darks and colors
Saturday: jeans
Sunday: catch up, delicates, sweaters, etc.

So far, I have two loads in process, one in the dryer and one in the washer. I think that will just about finish the job for the day, unless my husband comes home from work with another pair of dirty denims.

Speaking of my husband, the love-of-my-life, the fixer-of-all-things-broken-in-my-home, and Subaru mechanic extraordinaire, he owns 15 pairs of jeans. I know this because my daughter and I added them up this morning:

9 pairs in the armoire
1 pair on his person
5 pairs in the laundry
15 pairs of jeans

This statistic is even more amusing when you consider that King Richard recently stated his need for even more jeans.

Huh?

Total number of jeans owned by Katherine the Great: 3 pairs
Total number of jeans owned by the Plush Duck: 2 pairs.

So much for “jeans math.”

Note: Before King Richard sends a comment divulging my deep, dark secret, I have a confession to make: my laundry is at least two weeks behind. What can I say? I hate housework.

No comments: