Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Shaker Wisdom

While sorting through a box in my living room today, I came across a book I purchased at least a decade ago, Simple Wisdom: Shaker Sayings, Poems, and Songs by Kathleen Mahoney. The photographs within are gorgeous and, like the title of the book, simple in their composition. I imagine that is what attracted me to this little treasure in the first place. That, and some of the sayings:
- Labor to make the way of God your own; let it be your inheritance, your treasure, your occupation, your daily calling. Do all your work as if you had a thousand years to live, and as you would if you knew you must die tomorrow.

- Keep busy; idleness is the strength of bad habits.

- All that you do, do with your might, things done by halves are never done right.

- Better soil your hands than your character.

- Good temper is like a sunny day; it sheds a brightness over everything; it is the sweetener of toil and the soother of disquietude.

- Begin today! No matter how feeble the light, let it shine as best it may. The world may need just that quality of light which you have.

- Truths like roses have thorns about them.

- Have the courage to speak your mind when it is necessary you should do so.

- All truths must not be told at all times.

- Never open the door to a little vice, lest a great one should enter too.

- Labor to keep alive in your breast, that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.
And, last but not least, one of my favorites:
There is an eye that never tires
A God who never sleeps;
He knows the secret of each heart,
A watch o’er us he keeps;
Beholds our motives, foul or clean,
Knows we are mortals frail,
And yet we are upheld by him,
His arm doth never fail.

We see in all his wond’rous works,
The glory of his plan,
In giving agency to rule
The final state of man.
As happiness depends on choice,
We need not mourn or grieve;
Thank God he did our souls arrest,
By this we did believe.

No comments: