Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, January 26, 2007

The Rudolph Club --- JAN 2007

Organized Christmas.com, one of my favorite holiday preparation websites, has a novel page for those of us who like to break our Christmas preparations into manageable pieces throughout the entire year. It is called the Rudolph Club and, on the 25th day of each month, it presents an “assignment,” a simple task(s) to be completed during the next month that will put you on the road to a well-planned holiday season with plenty of time to spare.

I skimmed this page occasionally in the past, wondering if it would be worthwhile. In the back of my mind, though, I thought it would either take all the enjoyment out of the actual Christmas season if I expended too much effort planning for it so far ahead, or I would lose interest. Yet, despite these misgivings, I decided to give it a go for 2007. What is the worst that could happen? My state of Christmas organization remains exactly the same. Sounds like a win-win scenario to me: a) I lose nothing in the way of preparedness, or b) I have the best Christmas ever. I am praying for option (b).

JANUARY ASSIGNMENT #1: Tie Up Loose Ends!
- check for truant decorations
- inspect the laundry room for Christmas table linen, towels, etc.
- inventory the Christmas china & locate any stragglers
- look for errant holiday hardware (e.g., replacement light bulbs, etc.)
- gather holiday gift wrap & craft supplies

Store all these items in their proper place, or create a Loose Ends Box in which to put them until October when early Christmas planning begins in earnest.

JANUARY ASSIGNMENT #2: Set Up A Gift Closet
- create a dedicated storage space for early gift purchases
- make certain the space is accessible
- set up and keep a gift closet inventory

FRUGAL GIFT IDEA: Holiday Socks
Throughout the year, purchase holiday-themed socks on clearance --- Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, etc. --- for a sock box. Come December, you will have a colorful assortment of footwear fun that is certain to be a hit with any little girl (or grown woman, for that matter).

HOLIDAY BOOKS & MOVIES
Each month on the Rudolph Club page, members list a holiday book and film for viewing/discussion during the following month. The February selections are:

Book: Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich
Film: The Twelve Days of Christmas Eve

Wish me Godspeed! See you on February 25th.

No comments: