Inspired by a little-known picture book from the pen of Bethany Tudor, this is a diary, of sorts, where I document some of my thoughts, activities, and ideas as I explore the challenges met by the characters in the story: hard work, the care and nurture of others, housekeeping skills, life changes, charity, community, and cooperation, among others. Like Samuel and Samantha, the ducks in the tale, I struggle and succeed, cope and celebrate, work and play, handling the tasks that come my way. I invite you to join me on my journey.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Australia Day!

G’day, mate. In honor of my friend, Koalagirl15, I would like to announce that today is Australia Day. Even though I am certain this has been listed on every calendar I have ever owned, I only found out about it yesterday --- when Koalagirl15 invited me to an Australia Day dinner. Yep, I really am that slow. :-)

The menu for this yummy feast was as follows:

- meat pies (with catsup)
- sausage rolls
- coconut shrimp (with mango chutney/dip)
- tomato-onion casserole
- Pavlova with fresh fruit
- Australian wine

The wine was very good, but strong. It hit me a little harder than I expected. The shrimp was quite tasty as well; and the Pavlova was wonderful: light and sweet with a beautiful collection of kiwis, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries on top. I wonder just how many calories were hidden in that meringue, though, because I gained a pound overnight. :-)

If you would like to learn more about this Australian national holiday, visit the official Australia Day website. Hooroo!

No comments: